Wednesday, May 25, 2011

HanS Landa and movie that started the space war....

Konichiwa,

So past couple of days has been nothing but interesting. We had graduation ceremony where I was finally conferred the doctoral degree. So officially I can be called doctor, something that took years of research and peril. However, I would still prefer to be called by my name without the prefix "Dr.". It was an interesting experience and overwhelming at the same time. It still has to sink in so will elaborate more on this in the next post.

I had a chance to see "Inglourious Basterds" by QT. Like any other QT movies, it was gripping and intense with fabulous piece of writing and splendid dialogues. In my opinion, not one of his best but definitely up there with some of the best. I really loved the sublime acting by Christopher Waltz, an unknown entity and a great discovery by QT. Each and every scenes with Hans Landa played by Christopher Waltz, were intense and striking. He can act and when I say that I mean every word of it. The only problem I had was with the ending. I mean throughout the movie the character of Hans Landa has been developed as a fierce, cunning and cruel general. It was highly difficult to digest the fact that he could be so naive to believe that all his demands will be made by americans. How could he be so stupid to trust them when throughout the movie he couldn't trust anybody. I know he believed that Hitler was eventually going to lose the war and that the situation provided him with an opportunity to build a safe heaven after the war. But I think the deal wasn't very convincing and like him. It would have made sense if QT could have spent some time showing that weak side of him. Other than this, I loved the end scene when the inevitable happens and that all die. A great movie but not one of QT's best.

Remember the cold war? Well Nazis are called the best propagandist, but in my opinion it is Americans. I have a theory of how Americans won the cold war.  There was a rat race between Russians and Americans for everything. like race to achieve the biggest stockpile of nuclear bombs.  It was like neck to neck and in order to defeat Russians, Americans needed to come up with a new strategy. And the strategy was to divert Russian's attention from more important civic and economic issues to trivial things which would eventually lead to their bankruptcy. So how could this be done? Obviously by throwing an idea (Propaganda) that air to air/land to land war is a strategy of past and now Americans are developing resources to have space war. And to make it sound more convincing George Lucas made the "star war" series and added a stamp of  virtual reality to this idea which was enough to make Russian think. As expected Russians forgot about everything and invested all their resources on exploring space and the idea of space war, which was obviously not real. As a result Russian economy crumbled and America won the cold war.

Anyways enough of stupidity. I have heard a lot  about the Star War movies from friends and incessant mention  in movies, books, tv series etc, and hence I decided to give it a try. What stopped me till now from watching this movie was my strong dislike to "Propaganda" movies. Any how, so far I have seen part IV and V and it has been really interesting. What really impressed me the most is the amount of creative effort it must have taken Lucas and his team to come up with so many characters, all together a new language, different costumes etc. Kudos to Lucas and his team. Especially knowing that the first two of the series came out in 1979 and 1983, its unbelievable to see the standard of special effects (exception-2000: Space Odyssey). The story is building up and I hope I like the rest of the series too. It definitely fulfills the hype, at least for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment